Preparing your home for viewings, or “staging,” is tremendously important. It not only helps you sell your property faster, but adds thousands of dollars to your offers and final sale price.
1. Declutter – but don’t depersonalize: Get rid of all the excess stuff that has accumulated in every nook and cranny.
2. A fresh lick of paint: Give your walls a fresh lick of neutral paint to make your home seem airy and bigger.
3. Fix and clean: Make any minor repairs necessary – holes in walls, broken door knobs, cracked tiles, torn or threadbare carpets. Many buyers want to move in without having to make changes.
4. Update the kitchen: The kitchen is the most valuable room in a house. It is worth the most per square foot and can make the difference when buyers are on the fence. Consider refacing your kitchen cabinetry. This is much cheaper than installing new cabinetry and often as effective.
5. Light and airy: Wall mirrors make a room look much bigger and lighter. Consider installing some, especially in smaller rooms or hallways. Clean windows inside and out, and replace any broken light bulbs. Ensure that you have lamps in any dark corners.
6. Smell matters: Bad smells are the single biggest turn off for prospective buyers, so ensure your home is free of any smells. We often don’t recognize the smells of our own home, so ask a friend who will tell you like it is and take steps to rid your home of smells.
7. Obvious conversions: If there are any obvious conversions – adapting the garage into extra rooms, or going up into the loft – and you have some spare cash, why not take advantage of this cash cow rather than letting the new owners make easy money out of improvements?
And finally - Show your property: Remember that GCM Homes is here to help you through this process. We have a team of experts that know the right things to say, what to highlight and what to downplay. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.